Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Did YOU check the box marked HIV?!


Every now and then I have to go to a new clinic or doctors office and have to complete the new patient form. I somehow manage to check the box marked for HIV on the Health History section...
Just yesterday I went into Planned Parenthood to get a IUD inserted to prevent any unwanted pregnancies. I completed the form and held on to it like I was told to do until I was called in the back.
Once I was called in the back, the nurse informed me that she would be taking my vitals before I was to see the doctor. She then asked for the form. She was almost silent as she looked over all of the boxes checked NO on the Health History Section. When she reached the one box that was checked YES and saw that it was the box for HIV she kind of leaned over handing me her pen saying "Did you mean to check the box marked HIV?" I looked at her and said yes. She then said "So YOU have it, HIV?" I told her yes. Then she went back to the form but the fact that I had just told her I was HIV positive did not leave her mind. "Sometimes things just happen." She said. I felt like she was comforting herself more than me. The questions kept coming... "Your son doesn't have it does he?" "No" I said. "Do you use condoms with his father?" "Yes" I responded. " He knows that you have it?" The questions continued. I shook my head yes again. "Uh." She said. Then she asked " How did you get it?" I informed her that I was born with it. She then either ran out of questions or just didn't want to look too ignorant by asking more because she stopped.
Im always down for educating people about the virus when I'm given the chance. HOWEVER I was kind of shocked myself at the questions she was asking me when she found out my status. I didn't really understand how a person who worked at a place such as Planned Parenthood who worked with females and STDS on a daily basis could be so ignorant about HIV. Not to mention that there are over 1 million people that are HIV Positive in the United States. OR never mind the fact that they tested for HIV and all other STDS right there in the clinic.
If I was not in a good place with my status, I would have been in a really bad place when I was done talking with her.
To her defense, maybe she was absent the day they did the HIV 101 training and the client sensitivity as well.
This shows me that my work is faaarrrrr from being over.

No comments:

Post a Comment