Friday, December 25, 2009

Raise your hand if you like taking meds...

If you cant see my hand up, maybe thats because its not...
Despite the fact that over five years ago, along with an HIV positive diagnosis I was given directions to take more then one different medication every day until a cure is found I still can not say that I enjoy taking the pills or that I want to.
To think of it, I do not know anyone who "likes" to take medication. Maybe taking meds wouldn't be so bad if there were no side-effects to them. However when taking meds to help treat the Human Immunodeficiency Virus, you will most likely experience some type of side-effect at one time or another.
I am currently prescribed three different medications a day to help treat my HIV. My pills are not that bad, they are the normal size for a pill. Well all of them except for one which is three times the size of a normal pill. Just to think of this gelcap puts a nasty taste in my mouth. I believe that this pill alone is the reason I sometimes find myself skipping a dose or two of my meds. When I skip my meds and then take them again is when I feel the side-effects. The last time I tried this, I felt like I'd rather be dead.
When I was pregnant with my son, taking my meds was the worst for me. Every time I tried to take them I would throw them back up. Sometimes just opening the bottles would make me sick in my stomach & I would vomit before I could even swallow the pills. I knew the importance of taking my meds every day to help protect my unborn child from becoming infected however it seemed like the more I tried to take the pills, the more they came back up.
As I look at my son who is now 3months old, Im amazed that he is really sitting up watching TV like he understands whats going on. I thank GOD that he was blessed to be born HIV negative! He is really the BEST christmas present I could ever get.
As I look at my three ugly pills, I know that skipping a dose or two is no longer an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment