Thursday, August 18, 2011

The First...


As I dressed and prepared for the first book signing for my memoir, The Way I See It I was both excited and nervous. Excited because I was about to attend my own book signing, nervous because I didn’t know if I would run out of books or sell any books at all.
I had just got done an hour-long interview over the phone for an article for Heart and Soul Magazine and knew I had to hurry up.
Once Daryl and I arrived at the mall in Philly to do the book signing at the Horizon Book Store I was happy as we set up the table with all of my books. The table was placed close to the door so whoever entered the store would see “The Way I See It” by Lolisa Gibson before they saw any other books!
Soon as the table was set, Daryl who was dressed in his “The Way I See It” T-shirt grabbed the flyers we had made and went to pass them out to shoppers that were in the mall. We were both a little surprised that the mall was pretty empty for a Saturday but we couldn’t let it stop us!
Daryl and I both smiled as people started to come into the bookstore and stopped at the table to look at my book. Many of the readers looked shocked when I told them that my book was a true story about my life and that wrote and published the book myself.
I was happy and proud of myself as I signed my books and did interviews to promote the book. I knew that every book I sold would help educate people more about me and the importance of HIV/AIDS. With every flyer Daryl handed out people would always think back to us in the bookstore and the message behind the book.
Whenever I looked for Daryl, he was always posted up in the front of the store passing out flyers and trying to get people to look at and buy the book. I smiled when I saw him taking pictures of me autographing books. In the back of my mind I thought of how grateful I am to always have him by my side and support me whenever he can. He never complains, or objects to supporting me at whatever I do.

As I signed the last book for that day and took the last picture, I was glad that I had my first book signing an I knew it wouldn’t be my last!

No comments:

Post a Comment